Today I visited a chicken farm run by a young friend of mine on the Island. There i saw a wonderous array of chickens. Big ones, huge ones, small ones, spotted ones, ones with red heads, ones with cute legs and then we saw some ducks too … some which waddled and some which swam … and of course one that thought it was a chicken … not a duck. It was an education, with the farm set in the beautiful rolling countryside which is the south of the Isle of Wight with views of the sea beyond.
I also stopped this morning to buy some Island asparagus. The season generally is awful due to the rain, but there was some nice asparagus on sale. I also bought a jar of hollandaise sauce as I cant be bothered to make my own!
I then stopped at the fishmonger and bought a few home made smoked fish fishcakes. They were also excellent if a tad potatoey! We cooked them in the oven, rather than fry them.
Caroline cooked it all to perfection. Particularly the duck egg which was so much better than a mere chicken!
Previous dinner posts from Peter
- Halliford Mere Lakes, Shepperton, Surrey - August 13th, 2013
- The greatest burger ever known.....! Dogzbolloxburgers - June 29th, 2013
- Another culinary highlight ... but of a different kind. - May 17th, 2013
- A saturday evening in .... - April 20th, 2013
- Fish pie followed by Peter's Tiramisu ! - March 19th, 2013