Some reduced cod at Waitrose yesterday and so I bought 2 huge slabs of it.
I absolutely adore cod for its meatiness and its taste, and so wanted to do this in as simple a manner as possible. I wondered whether I should cook it en papillotte...but as we didnt have any papillotte (posh for parchment paper) and anyway wanted a little bit of burnt crust on it, I decided against.
I wiped the cod with olive oil and then rolled the top in a mixture of fresh chillis, basil and parsley, and some dried fennel (fennel is good with fish), sprinkled it with lemon juice, placed a few wedges of lemon over the top and placed it all in the oven for about 20 minutes.
Came out well with a little blackness around the edges – OK, maybe a tad too much – but the lemon wedges nicely caramelised and the fennel giving it an added ooomph!
Served with my favorite vegetables of the moment – butter beans!
Drank a glass of stout….very I’rish!
Previous dinner posts from Peter
- Isle of Wight College - Catering students 'Classic Evening' dinner. - February 7th, 2014
- Halliford Mere Lakes, Shepperton, Surrey - August 13th, 2013
- The greatest burger ever known.....! Dogzbolloxburgers - June 29th, 2013
- Another culinary highlight ... but of a different kind. - May 17th, 2013
- A saturday evening in .... - April 20th, 2013