Thanks to a puncture, Caroline and Poppy are still here, so one further nice meal before they leave tomorrow.
I saw a recipe for red Wine risotto the other day, and as it A. sounded delicious, B. sounded a tad sophisticoited C. I had some home made chicken stock as well as D. a spare bottle of Barolo, decided I would give it a try. It was rather nice.
You make in the same way as any other risotto – I used spring onions rather than normal onions – added the red wine at the beginning, the chicken stock, stirred furiously and then some more wine, and a couple of chunks of goats cheese towards the end. The end result was very Barolo’ish, though if I am brutally honest, it could have done without the goats cheese.
The racks of lamb I panfried in olive oil, with some stray pieces of mango, ‘erbes de provence, and obscene amounts of chopped garlic. It started off rather red (I mean too red) but ended up just a tad beyond what I was happy with…but the girls like their lamb cremated poor lambs!
The salad was…well, a salad, but Poppy made a nice vinaigrette with a dash of brandy added (makes a nice difference!) …all in all a rather nice Sunday evening dinner.
The girls had a Mississippi mud pie, made by Jimmy…..I did not (*shudders and shakes his head*)
Previous dinner posts from Peter
- Another culinary highlight ... but of a different kind. - May 17th, 2013
- A saturday evening in .... - April 20th, 2013
- Fish pie followed by Peter's Tiramisu ! - March 19th, 2013
- Borough Market, London - March 2nd, 2013
- “There were Angels dining at the Ritz .... and the motor was parked in Berkeley Square” - January 26th, 2013